Monday, October 4, 2010

Reactions to Class 10-4-10

So this is the second day of our Fear Factor experiments. I have to say I've had some interesting reactions to some of the things that have been done. The experiment where we had to earplug ourselves and close our eyes was interesting because something so simple got a real reaction. People got apprehensive about what was going to happen. Sensory deprivation is a really easy way to make people doubt their safety.

I personally had to hold a mouse. And I hate mice. But it wasn't that bad. I think, as I said in my actual Fear Factor entry, that the fact that the animal belonged to someone and I know that person was just fine with touching it gave me the confidence to dive in.

I also held a snake for a while. I was fine with holding the snake; for some reason, I've always been fine with holding them. But it jerked its head really fast a couple times and that made me jump. I think I just had the constant thought of the fact that this thing has fangs and can use them in the back of my head, and a fear of possible imminent pain got a reaction out of me. To clarify, I think that I wasn't really afraid of the snake biting as much as the pain that would result from the snake biting. The snake seems, in my mind, in that situation, secondary to the pain in regards to fear.

No comments:

Post a Comment